Open the PowerPoint titled Romanticism vs. Realism. In order to listen to the PowerPoint you need to open it, go to SLIDESHOW in the upper tabs and choose PLAY FROM START, then hit the space bar and you will hear me narrate the lecture.
You are a part of the Bourgeoisie (the middle classes in the nineteenth century, the bourgeoisie became the arbiters of cultural taste and art production. The term ‘bourgeoisie’ is most commonly used in relation to the emerging middle and upper-middle classes specifically in France) and are attending an art exhibition at the Salon. Refer to the previous slide for images, #23. 1. What work(s) of art do you expect to see? Choose 2 works of art. List the numbers and explain your reasons specifically.
2. What work(s) of art do you expect to be rejected from the French Academy and not be represented in an exhibit at the Salon? Choose 2 works of art. List the numbers and explain your reasons specifically.
3. Watch the video http://artistproject.metmuseum.org/4/swoon/ that discusses the artwork in slide #14. Explain how artwork from this time period is changing and why. Do you like this direction art is taking? Why or why not? Explain the style, genre and color palette and how this new style differs from art we have previously studied.
Read – Impressionism https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/imml/hd_imml.htm 1. What is Impressionism? 2. How does it differ from previous styles? What was the subject and how was it painted?
3. Why is the city of Paris important?
4. Define the avant-garde?
Watch – Photography
Read – Photography
5. Who was Louis-Jacques-Mande Daguerre and what did he invent? Explain your answer in detail.
6. Who is Nadar? How does he change art and photography. Explain your answer in detail.
7. How do Americans feel about photography? You can refer to the video for your answer.
Read – Harlem Renaissance
Watch – Harlem Renaissance
8. What is the Harlem Renaissance?
9. What is Jacob Lawrence’s series The Great Migration about?